Saturday, November 7, 2015

"Wind Falls Down Season" is Back!



Howdy! That's what they call windy season in Khmae​:  រដូវធ្លាក់ខ្យល

Fun week! Started off Monday with a mini-"Train the Trainers" meeting for the handful of new trainers this transfer. There aren't any new missionaries, it’s just that some of the trainers got switched halfway through the twelve weeks. So that was a fun meeting. I always feel the most comfortable doing training for trainers, as opposed to training for district leaders or zone leaders. 

Tuesday was MLC. It was a super productive one. Elder Elieson and I presented a new contacting initiative for our mission, trying to make contacting a mission-wide team effort. It'll be super cool. It involves us following up with the zone leaders every night, collecting contacting numbers every night from the whole mission, and then texting back to the zone leaders the next morning every day for how many contacts we got mission-wide the day before, how many we need today to stay on track and how many more we need to reach our weekly and monthly goals. I love the quote in Preach My Gospel by President Monson: "When performance is measured, performance improves. When performance is measured and reported, the rate of improvement accelerates." I've seen that principle come true many times on my mission.

Elder Elieson and I found some really cool verses that we shared at MLC about opening our mouths, like:

Fear not to do good, my sons, for whatsoever ye sow, that shall ye also reap; therefore, if ye sow good ye shall also reap good for your reward. (D&C 6:33), and

But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. (2 Corinthians 9:6), and

Seek not for riches but for wisdom, and behold, the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto you, and then shall you be made rich. Behold, he that hath eternal life is rich.  Verily, verily, I say unto you, even as you desire of me so it shall be unto you; and if you desire, you shall be the means of doing much good in this generation.  Say nothing but repentance unto this generation; keep my commandments, and assist to bring forth my work, according to my commandments, and you shall be blessed. (D&C 33:7-9) 

I feel like some missionaries wait on investigators to come more than just going out and declaring repentance to every person they meet on the street (and sometimes I am one of those waiting missionaries too). The more people we talk to the more people we'll have to teach. I love how simple the Gospel is at it's core. Helps simpletons like me understand. I've come to understand that the Lord sent me to come and teach Buddhists my whole mission because I needed to get the fundamentals down a lot more. 

Other than that, the rest of the week in the office was pretty typical: several meetings with President, both planned and emergency, and lots of planning and preparing for different training. To be perfectly honest, I get pretty stir-crazy here in the office sometimes. The only thing that keeps me sane is exchanges. 

Zone training was Friday morning. Elder Child and Elder Kim did an amazing job. I learned a lot from them and the South zone Sister Training Leaders as well. It was so weird for me watching Elder Kim teaching and I thought that 'Wow, it’s been one year since I became companions with Elder Kim." Seems like it happened earlier this morning...

Right after that meeting ended Friday morning, Elder Elieson and I did an exchange with Elder Carter and Elder Hinds in Steung Mean Chey second! (although it was the side of SMC 2nd that I was on for just a transfer, then we split and I went to the other side for the rest of the time) Elder Carter is a new trainer, and so we just did a brief half-day exchange with him to make sure he's comfortable with his new assignment, since he didn't have the advantage of having an all day training like the other trainers got 6 weeks ago. So I went with him and Elder Elieson went with Elder Hinds. Elder Carter is my brother in the mission, in case y’all forgot (he was trained by Elder Johnson as well). It was great going out with him and talking with him about how training is going for him. He's a super good example to me. Super obedient, humble, always seeking for correction from others... He's a great trainer. Haha, sometimes I wish and wish for another chance to train, so I can make up for the horrible job I did before. Thank goodness that both my trainees are just naturally wonderful missionaries. They didn't need me training them. 

The exchange was great though. It rained for the longest I've ever seen it rain in Cambodia though. Literally from 10am-8pm it rained. It was insane. Normally Cambodian rain is a couple hours long and just super intense. But this was just constant rain, pouring occasionally, but most of the time just a nice steady fall. Just add another tally mark to my number of days where I've been soaked to the bone on the mission. We've entered windy season now, so it’s cooling off, so I was freezing all day yesterday while contacting in the rain, haha. It’s ok though, it teaches me empathy for what other missionaries in the world have to go through.

Today will be fun. Elder Elieson and I are going to go get our hair cut (Khmae price=$1. Beat that) then we're going to go to a driving range because apparently they have a handful in Phnom Penh (who knew?) and hit a bucket of balls, and then we're going to go get suits cut at Phsaar Orrusey. Should be good. I'll get back one when we get back from golfing and email y’all some pics. On exchange I got a few pics as well, but they're on Elder Carter's camera, so you'll have to wait till next week...



This last week I've been studying the Law of Consecration with Elder Morris and Elder Elieson (we pick a topic every p-day with each other to study for a portion our personal studies the next week). Yesterday I read the coolest talk by Elder Maxwell on the subject. It's called "Settle This in Your Hearts". Go read it! My word, does he inspire me to want to speak English...

Love y’all! Be safe! Have fun! Read your scriptures!


Love Elder Burger







No comments:

Post a Comment