Monday, May 25, 2015

The Music of the Gospel

After I sent this picture I realized y'all have no idea what the sign reads, so you have no idea what I'm doing. We were contacting for English class along the road outside our meetinghouse

Hey everyone. I hope there are still some of y’all remaining to read this. It sounds like the flooding in San Antonio is washing away every single person I've ever known or loved. Hope y’all are all alive out there. Make sure y’all take some super cool pictures if y’all ever have to stay the night out on the rooftop. I hope all the flooding isn't making it too difficult to ride y’alls bikes places (cuz that's how y’all get around right?). And it’s dad's birthday tomorrow!!!! WOW! Happy birthday! I won't say how old you're turning, because you'd be embarrassed, but it rhymes with "warty line" right? Way to go!

This week was awesome. But but then again, that’s got to be the way I've started off at least 45 of my emails, since EVERY WEEK IS AWESOME ON THE MISSION. Hard, but awesome. 

Yesterday Sophetraa and Sovannaa received the saving covenant of baptism! They're great kids. It’s definitely been a weird change of pace teaching them, since they're a couple young boys (they're 14 and 9). They act just like you'd expect them to act. Elder Osborne and I had to be a lot more creative to help them be interested and absorb the gospel. Obviously the most important teacher of the gospel for them should be their mother, so we're also trying to think what we can do to help her more effectively help her children hear the music of the gospel, and dance the steps. 

Sophetraas and Sovannas baptism yesterday! Their mom was baptized a few months ago.

Speaking of that, wasn't that just the greatest talk ever? Elder Osborne has the last general conference on his iPod, so we've listened to that talk together close to a bajillion times. It’s the greatest. Elder Osborne is convinced that the more alliteration General Authorites use, the more powerful their talks are, haha. We're trying to use more alliteration in our own teaching to see if it has any more effect! But man, was that talk good! Such a great analogy that we can all relate to so well. I'll put my Burger guarantee on it that they make some great Mormon Messages out of that one by Elder Wilford Anderson.

So let me tell y’all about a tender mercy of the Lord this week. Elder Osborne and I were having a bit of a slow day on Thursday, lessons just weren't happening and it was obviously insanely hot. Well as we pulled up to the church in the afternoon to quickly refill our water bottles we saw two brand-new Liahona magazines in plastic wrapping sitting on the foyer table. Curious, we walked over to them just to see what they were and we were so excited to see that they were CONFERENCE ISSUES! Not only that, but THEY HAD OUR NAMES ON THEM! Whatttttt! We weren't expecting conference issues for like another month! That totally made our day and helped us to smile a bit wider! So we've been tearing through the conference edition in our free time at night. This last conference was legendary. So many wonderful talks that really touched my heart and caused me to look inwards for what more I can do to be a more dedicated servant of the Lord, and what I can do to help others out as well! Some of my absolute favorites were "The Music of the Gospel", "Truly Good and Without Guile", "Where Justice, Love and Mercy Meet", and "Stay by the Tree". Not to mention President Eyring's 3 spectacular talks. Every time he gets emotional, it’s impossible not to cry. Anyone who says they didn't cry during "Is Not this the Fast that I have Chosen?" needs to quit lying and repent! Man, he knows how to pull at the heartstrings through the Spirit, that's for sure. 

Playing piano barefoot at the baptismal service

Well, this last week I hit my six month mark in Stung Mean Chey. Haha, kind of weird. I got to Stung Mean Chey a month and a half before Elder Osborne even entered the MTC! I'm loving transfer #5 here with all my heart though. It doesn't feel like I've been here a long time at all! Just a few weeks! 

Sometimes I get really temple-sick, as in homesick for the temple. Like sometimes I'll read a verse in the scriptures that'll remind me of something from the endowment, or I'll just have a quiet peaceful moment which makes me remember what it feels like to sit in the celestial room. I really miss going to the temple. I love a verse that I came across this morning, in Psalms 27 verse 4:

One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in his temple.

This is the desire of my heart! That I may dwell in His house all the days of my life. In the temple we truly learn of the beauty of the Lord and of His infinite Atonement, and of our individual worth in the eyes of our Heavenly Father! What a great place to go and "inquire" too. I know that as we are looking for answers to the questions of this life, that we can retire to the temple and therein we may find that inspiration and guidance that we are looking for. That is so cool that y’all have been able to go to the temple as a family and do baptisms and other ordinances with each other! I'll want to go and do that with y’all when I get back. 

Yesterday Elder Osborne and I had a great lesson about the temple with a recent convert named Thiaraa. He is usually super sarcastic and is kind of mean to Elder Uhi and Elder Osborne just because they're new and it’s a bit hard for them to follow his super slurred Phnom Penh accent. But yesterday we gave him this big picture of the Manila Philippines temple for him to put on the wall, and we were talking about the worthiness and cleanliness we need in our spirits in order to enter such a holy place. He became way sincere and really opened up to us, asking what he could do to gain that inner peace in his life. He said he felt like he had gone wayward with a few of the commandments, and he was finally done with it all. He was like "I want that inner peace in my heart." He said he was going to go to church next Sunday and ask for a meeting and blessing from Bishop. It’s so neat seeing the Holy Ghost soften people's hearts and help them come unto the truest peace that exists, the peace of the gospel. 

Well that's all I have today. I'm alive and well! I pray that y’all are too!

The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.  Psalms 27:1, 14.


Love Elder Burger

No comments:

Post a Comment