Friday, May 29, 2015

Well, Plot Twist . . .

Hey so I'm emailing you on a Saturday... Pretty weird... I'm also not in Stung Mean Chey anymore, I'm in Chaktomuk (Phnom Penh). Let me explain a bit.

On Wednesday around lunch time I got a phone call from President Moon. He explained that this transfer was a little weird and we'd be doing some switching around in the middle of it. He asked me to come to the office and be his assistant. He said he wanted me to come in half-way through the transfer instead of at the end of the transfer so that we didn't have a new assistant come in just like a week before the new president gets here. He told me I'd be leaving Friday morning. It was not fun saying goodbye to all of the members after spending over half a year in Stung Mean Chey. The extreme short-term notice did kind of make it nice though. Kinda like ripping off a band-aid. Elder Brewer, who is the AP leaving the office, is going to take my place in Stung Mean Chey. I'm going to miss that place so much. I'm going to miss Elder Osborne a ton too. We were having a blast and doing work. This new opportunity is going to be a great experience though. I'm very excited to help in any way I can!

So my p-days are on Saturdays now. I'm coming into the office at probably the busiest time ever. Like today, even though its p-day, Elder Eppley (my new companion) and I are going to go translate for 4 hours for stake conference. We're going to translate again tomorrow. And then Tuesday we have Mission Leadership Conference (MLC), which is where all of the zone leaders and sister training leaders in the mission come to be trained and counsel together. At this MLC all the district leaders are being invited to attend as well, so there will be a lot of people there. And then on Thursday zone conferences start up. Thursday and Friday we're doing all the zone conferences in the city, and then on Saturday morning we'll drive up to Kampong Cham with President and Sister Moon and do zone conference there. We'll attend two different wards in Kampong Cham on Sunday, and then that afternoon we'll drive up to Siem Reap (Road trip with the Moons!). That Monday Elder Eppley and I are planning on hitting up Angkor Wat with Elder Duffy and Elder Horn, then Tuesday we have zone conference for Kampong Thom and Siem Reap. I'm super excited to see both Elder Uhi and Elder Allred again! Then on Wednesday we'll go and do zone conference in Battambang. It's going to be crazy. I'm pretty nervous, just because Elder Eppley and I are going to have a big part in all the training. I don't know what I'm doing! I've only been a district leader for a transfer and a half! I kind of feel like I got thrown straight into the furnace. But it's going to be so much fun working with President Moon this last month of his mission and then helping bring in President and Sister Christensen.

It’s way fun being in the office too, because we're in basically a four-some for a lot of the day with the office elders. And guess who it is... Elder LeNguyen and Elder Morris! I love those guys. (For the short-memory loss people: Elder LeNguyen is my MTC comp and Elder Morris is a Vietnamese-speaking elder in my group). It’s so much fun. Elder Eppley is the coolest too. He's 6 months older than me in the mission. It’s weird being junior companion again. He's way awesome though and... HE'S A FELLOW TEXAN! He's from Flowermound. Its going to be so much fun working with him.

Chaktomuk is in the South Stake (same as Stung Mean Chey), so I'll get to see everyone from my ward at stake conference this weekend. That'll be nice. Chaktomuk is probably more affluent than a lot of wards. It’s the second oldest in the country, but also one of the smallest. It’s a really hard area. Hopefully we can help it progress though! Normally the AP's are in the International Branch, but since the office elders have had one khmae and one viet elder in the office for the past few months, they've switched over to the International Branch. We share the car. I'll be getting my Khmae license sometime here in the next week. Then I'll have to learn how to drive stick :/

So I forgot my camera at Stung Mean Chey so I don't have pictures for y’all today. I'll try and send them on Monday. Saturdays are my p-days for the foreseeable future. However, next Saturday I don't know when I'll have the chance to email since we'll be in Kampung Cham, but we'll probably try to get an email in next Monday in Siem Reap. We'll see.

Well I love y’all so much! I hope all is well back home!

Love Elder Burger

No comments:

Post a Comment