Monday, February 9, 2015

Read the Book



I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the restored true church of God here on the earth. I know that Jesus Christ established His church here on the earth during his mortal ministry, that that church was taken from the earth after His death and after the death of His apostles, and I know that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ truly appeared to Joseph Smith to restore that same exact church to the earth again here in modern times. Joseph Smith was and is a prophet of God. Praise to the man who communed with Jehovah!

I know that statement is very bold and I would never want anybody to believe it based solely off my personal conviction and confidence. I know that the message that I share and that every "Mormon" missionary shares is true and that it truly comes from God, but what is wonderful is that we don't try and convince people or debate with them! The simple fact of the matter is that the Church is true and that God will answer anyone who asks with a sincere heart "Is this church truly Thy Church?" I want to invite EVERYBODY to READ THE BOOK OF MORMON! Just try it out! Don't just say "Wow, I'm glad Elder Neuberger loves his religion so much, or wow that’s cool that he thinks that’s true." Because I'm promising everyone now that it is true and that you can know that as well. Just read the Book of Mormon and pray with a sincere heart and I promise with my whole soul that God will answer you. Eternal happiness lies at all of our fingertips. WE ARE ALL CHILDREN OF GOD! He has prepared a plan of happiness for the entire human race, for His entire family, to return to live with Him and enjoy every blessing that He enjoys. I promise you that the first step towards that eternal happiness is reading the Book of Mormon. I have no stronger desire in my heart than to show the gospel with everyone! It's true! I know it is! And everyone can know that too!

This week was amazing! Yesterday was transfer calls but it wasn't very exciting for our house, because none of us ended up being transferred. I'm super happy about that. I love everybody that I'm living with and serving with. I'm especially excited to finish training Elder Uhi. That elder is so good! He's going to be one of the great ones. He would deny that if I ever told him that though. He's just about the humblest guy ever.

Here's a pic we took at soccer this morning. Quick introduction for a few people: The guy on the far right is Elder Lauritzen (Elder Long's trainee), Elder Uhi is right next to him. Elder Allred is the guy standing right behind me with the fly emirates shirt (Elder Kim's trainee), Elder Kim is in the bright blue Samsung shirt and Elder Long is in the white long sleeve shirt on my right. Those are all the elders I live with. A couple more celebrity appearances are Elder Morris who is in the red and white shirt crouched down right next to Elder Uhi (he was in the MTC with me the whole time, but he's Vietnamese-speaking) and Elder Quirante is in the dark blue shirt is crouched down right next to me on my left (he was in me, Spencer's and Colton Kimball's EFY group back when we were 15).

I had some of the coolest lessons ever this week. Maa, the grandma of Vichikaa, a recent convert who Elder Kim and I baptized, told me the coolest story this week (Maa is a recent convert as well, by the way). She was out exercising somewhere and there was this Christian guy who was totally just giving her grief for being a member of the Church. She told me that she just told him "Well we have a temple of God where we can go and serve our ancestors, so how could it not be true?" And then she testified about Joseph Smith and about the Book of Mormon. Ahhh man! I was so excited when she was telling me all this!

We also had a super cool lesson with Vichikaa this week as well. He's been helping out Elder Uhi and I and Elder Kim and Elder Allred go and teach a ton recently. He's like the best member help ever (well, he's tied with Thol, who is another recent convert which Elder Kim and I had the privilege of baptizing). Elder Uhi and I taught him about missionary work this week and he said, "Elder, when I got out and teach with y’all, I never want to come back. I just want to go and teach always!" Elder Uhi and I looked at each other and just smiled, because the commitment we had planned to give Vichikaa that lesson was to begin preparing to serve a mission. We told him about serving a mission and shared a verse from D&C that talks about how the Lord will take care of and bless the families of those who go out and preach His gospel. He was so excited! I can't wait for him to go out and serve a mission.

We also had a super cool experience when Elder Uhi and I were at the church waiting for an appointment. Vichikaa was standing there with Elder Uhi and I and Viin and Thol pulled up and started talking to us too (they were waiting for Institute class to start). I saw a guy who I had contacted at English class on Wednesday night who had said he wanted to learn and I waved him over. The second I waved him over I didn't have to say a single word at all. Vichika, Viin (Viin is Thol's cousin-in-law and is another recent convert which Elder Kim and I baptized), and Thol started fellowshipping him for me without a single poke or prod from Elder Uhi or I! They invited him to the young single adults activity, to church on Sunday, and then to Institute! He ended up walking into Institute with them 10 minutes later to see what it was like and then he went to church for all three hours yesterday! We have an appointment with him on Wednesday morning to teach him the message of the Restoration!

OH MAN! Words cannot describe my joy as I just stood there and watch three recent converts whom I had the privilege to teach, baptize, and confirm go and contact and fellowship this guy into the church and testify about its truthfulness to him! That night I went and read Alma 26 and Ammon's words in that chapter come as close as I can possibly come to describing my joy and gratitude for the Lord strengthening and uplifting those people who I have helped bring into the fold. Ammon's words in Alma 26 echoed in my soul and increased my joy even more!

On Friday (I think it was Friday), Elder Allred started yelling from the kitchen "RAT, RAT" and we all sprinted down stairs. He was out on the back patio and he said he had just seen a huge monster rat, that it had hissed at him, and then it ran over into the corner of the patio behind this kind of gutter-thing which is right there. Elder Kim instantly grabbed this four-foot long rusty pole thing we have sitting out there. We were all huddled together as he went over and started trying to spook it so that it would come out of the corner. After about 10 seconds the rat leaped out of the corner and started sprinting at us. Elder long, Elder Uhi, and I immediately ran backwards. I looked back in time to see Elder Kim knock it out of the area and give it 4 or 5 solid hits before it finally died. I kid you not, I see him straighten up after giving the death blow and he looked like straight Hercules, when Hercules cuts himself out of that crazy multi-headed dragon thing. He raised his hands above his head and was just like YES! Haha, our adrenaline was all so high. We were all jumping around there in the kitchen cheering and chest bumping and going nuts. Haha, it was so much fun. After that elder Kim put the rat in a trash bag and carried it through the house out to the front but the bag had a hole in it so it leaked rat blood all throughout the bottom floor of the house. Haha, I quickly ran and poured bleach all over the floor. Ahhh, good times.

The monster rat we killed a couple days ago on the back porch where we cook all our food

Also had a super random experience this week while holding the English class sign outside of the church building with Elder Uhi. I see this moto go by and two people on it waved at me and it took me a second to register who it was but then i realized that it was Sokhaa and Somoo, two of my favorite investigators from Pochentong! It was the craziest coincidence! I looked back and started waving like crazy at them.

That’s super neat about the Spendloves and about all the changes in the stake. Obviously its a bummer for everyone in our stake to lose such a great family, but they're going to do miracles in that mission. It'll be exciting to see who gets called as the new stake president.

Ok, that’s all I have. I love all of y’all so much! Enjoy life and always be grateful in any circumstances you may find yourselves in!


Love Elder Burger

Eating bongaem ipov on some Buddhist holiday with Bong Srei Muan, our BM leader. It's basically like rice porridge, big chunks of pumpkin, and sugar


I continue to be amazed by some of the things I see while contacting.... I wanted to knock on this person's door so bad but I didn't dare. Its kind of illegal in Cambodia to knock on peoples doors and solicit stuff, even if you're not really soliciting and you're just a missionary



Phteah lvweengs right next to the church building


No comments:

Post a Comment