Monday, February 16, 2015

Happy Chinese New Year!


Happy Chinese New Year everyone! Don't get too excited now, it's still a couple days away, but prepare yourselves, because it's coming! I don't remember whether I told y’all or not, but Chinese New Year, Khmae New Year, and Universal New Year are all of equal importance in Cambodia. Cambodians just absolutely love their holidays. Haha, I love it. What a great people. If any of y'all don't have any Khmae friends, go and make some. They're the coolest people. If you're wondering where to find any, head over to your local donut shop and ask for the manager.

This week I got to see all the youth and the bishop from Pochentong! They were scrimmaging the Stung Mean Chey team in soccer in the field behind the church (in the middle of that banana orchard). It was super fun seeing all of them. It's been 3 months already since I left there! Can you believe I've been in Stung Mean Chey since before Thanksgiving! Gosh time flies!

Entering back in to Stung Mean Chey last Pday

Here's a fun story for y’all from a couple weeks ago which I forgot to tell you about. Elder Long and Elder Lauritzen, who live on the third floor of our house, noticed that the curtain in front of their window was blowing from the wind during personal study one day. When they drew back the curtain they discovered that someone had slid open the window and tried to get in their room but they couldn't because of the iron bars cemented across the window. They then opened the door out to the ledge outside their window and in the inch and a half layer of Stung Mean Chey dust on it they saw tons of bare footprints on the ledge and around the window. Cao!!! Thief!!! Cambodia has so many thieves its unreal. But no worries, we're safe. Cambodian thieves aren't the type of thieves to boldly break into a house and hold you at gunpoint (there aren't any guns in Cambodia to begin with). They're the sneaky/in-the-shadows type thieves. So no worries, we're safe. Plus if anyone got into our house Elder Uhi or Lauritzen could literally tear them apart with one hand. It’s nice to have very scary muscular athletes living with you in the same house.

We’ve been getting about 60 people out to our English class every week. This last week we were doing special activities night. It’s where all the classes (beginner, middle, and advanced) meet together and we do a big activity. This last week we acted out a murder mystery for them and they had to figure it out. I've been the English class leader in Stung Mean Chey for a transfer now. It’s been pretty fun organizing it all and seeing how we can use it as a better tool to proselyte and serve the community as well. This Wednesday all the English class leaders in the country are having a three hour meeting at the mission home to discuss who knows what.  Should be fun!

English Class

Wow can y’all believe that it's almost time for General Conference again?!!! Less than 2 months!!! I hope everything is getting pumped! Everyone make sure you reread all those talks from last conference in preparation for this one. I love General Conference so much. What an incredible age of technology we live in where we are able to watch the Lord's servants teach us from any place in the world, no matter what tongue we speak!

I've got a couple questions about people back home. How is Bernard doing? Is he still active and working towards the temple? Could you tell him hi for me as well? And how is Sister Lawson doing? What's the update on her? It was always so much fun going and visiting with her.

The work continues to move forward in Cambodia. Yesterday at church Elder Uhi and I had 4 investigators at church, plus two more people who we invited to come but we haven't had the opportunity to teach them yet. It is so much fun seeing people come unto Christ! I love this work with all my heart.

Eating dinner with Maa at Vichikaa's house

There is no greater work than this. The wonderful thing is that this work is for both the living and the dead. Temple work is exactly the same as missionary work, it's just for a different crowd of people. I miss the temple with all my heart. I am so eager to enter the sacred doors of a temple again. But that’s ok. For now I'll wait. I know that one day we will have a temple here in Cambodia. That is my single greatest motivation when I'm tired and maybe want to slow down a little bit, or let up, or take a break. I remember the temple, and I think of all the wonderful people here I have met that are working with all their might to help prepare this country for a temple as well. In the near future we will have one. I just envision myself watching General conference and hearing the prophet announce the new temples, and hearing him say "And we are excited to announce a new temple in the country of... Cambodia!" Oh man, those words bring so much joy and upliftment to my soul, even though they have yet to be uttered. One day though! There's a lot of work to do still though! Time to set our hands to the plow and prepare this people! I love y’all! I love Cambodia! I love everybody! God Bless! The Church is true. What else matters?!


Love Elder Neuberger

A plastic bag factory. Its not a garbage dump. This is a place where people actually live and work.

Wall mural at Burger King in Phnom Penh 
Elder Uhi and I suddenly had an appointment to go to and we didn't think we were going to meet that person so we hadn't set a lesson plan yet. We went over to the side of the road and started planning when all these little kids came up and started talking and playing with us. We stopped planning for five minutes and joked around with them a little. Seemed like the Christlike thing to do.


helping load this crazy heavy sacks of plastic bags into this huge truck




Never thought I would be serving in a desert!

So many wats. Here's a pretty cool one in the back parts of our area.


No comments:

Post a Comment